Thursday, June 10, 2010

Social Responsibility


If a man seduces a virgin who is not engaged to anyone and sleeps with her, he must pay the customary dowry and accept her as his wife. But if her father refuses to let her marry him, the man must still pay the money for her dowry.

A sorceress must not be allowed to live.

Anyone who has sexual relations with a animal must be executed.

Anyone who sacrifices to any god other than the LORD must be destroyed.

Do not oppress foreigners in any way. Remember, you yourselves were once foreigners in the land of Egypt.

Do not exploit widows or orphans. If you do and they cry out to me, then I will surely help them. My anger will blaze forth against you, and I will kill you with the sword. Your wives will become widows, and your children will become fatherless.

If you lend money to a fellow Hebrew in need, do not be like a money lender, charging interest. If you take your neighbor's cloak as a pledge of repayment, you must return it by nightfall. Your neighbor will need it to stay warm during the night. If you do not return it and your neighbor cries out to me for help, then I will hear, for I am very merciful.

Do not blaspheme God or curse anyone who rules over you.

Do not hold anything back when you give me the tithe of your crops or your wine.

You must make the necessary payment for redemption of your firstborn sons.

You must also give me the firstborn of your cattle and sheep. Leave the newborn animal with its mother for seven days; then give it to me on the eighth day.

You are my own holy people. Therefore, do not eat any animal that has been attacked and killed by a wild animal. Throw its carcass out for the dogs to eat.

Exodus 22:16-31

0 comments: